Thursday, March 13, 2014

Packing Tips From a Neat Freak


          It's easy to get overwhelmed when you're faced with an empty suitcase to pack for a long trip. For me, it's an exciting time to invent new outfits and play dress up! I'm all about organization, so I used a simple way keep everything neat and minimal when I packed for NYFW last month. I'll be packing for another trip to Albany and Boston this weekend, so I figured it was an opportune time to share my packing tips!

1. Plan your clothes in outfits and actually try them on. I can't begin to remember all the times I've packed a top and bottoms I thought would look great together, just to find out during my trip that they didn't work at all! This also minimizes the amount of clothes you'll need to bring. If you've already tried on your outfits you'll know which ones need an an extra layer and which ones don't. There's no use in throwing a bunch of random tees or shoes in as back-ups if you already know what you need. Lastly, this method is super helpful when you're in a rush during your trip. Simply pick whichever ensemble fits your mood or the weather, and you're ready to go!

2. If you want to get super organized, you can plan each outfit for a specific day. I used my Page-a-Day calendar to lay out my clothes, then looked up the weather report to sort my outfits accordingly. (In most cases this ended up being a general guideline due to changes in weather/temperature/mood, but it's a great idea if you have big events to plan for).

3. Pack a rotation of jewelry and accessories, with a few key pieces. While it may be more exciting to pack different accessories for each day, it becomes a lot to keep track of. Only bring a few simple necklaces, rings, earrings, belts, etc. that you can rotate through during your trip. If you have room, add a couple statement pieces that you're only going to wear once. Not only will this keep the amount of small, easy-to-lose pieces to a minimum, but it also creates a collection unique to your trip. Well after your trip is over, these pieces will be more special because they'll remind you of your travels.

4. Bring one pair of shoes for every three days you'll be gone. Shoes are my weakness when I pack, yet they take up the most amount of space. I always think of all the scenarios I might need a bright pump or a chunky platform, then I end up wearing only half of the shoes I bring. A girl only needs a few basic shoes. My theory is that the longer your stay, the more shoes you'll need. (I'm also willing to make an exception if you have a wide range of events to attend, from super fancy dinners to walking through slush and snow for a meeting).

5. Even if you aren't flying, bring all of your toiletries in travel size. There is no reason you will need a full sized bottle of shampoo. And if for some reason your stay evolves into three months, it isn't hard to find more shampoo. You'll be amazed by how much more space you'll have in your suitcase once all your creams, washes, and hair products are in 3oz. bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment