Monday, July 29, 2013

Reconstructing a Skirt


         For my second reconstructed piece, I altered a vintage skirt. I fell in love with the pattern and colors but when I tried it on, it didn't look quite right. I decided it would only need a couple adjustments before it would be a piece I'd be wearing all the time. 

         Skirts are my favorite things to get in thrift stores because they come in cool, unexpected patterns and there are a lot of ways to turn them into modern fashion. A few years ago, I bought a skirt in the same style as this one and simply pulled it up over my chest and belted it to make it a dress (see that post here).


           This skirt was a little big around my waist, so the first thing I did was take it in on the side. Then, I cut a slit on one side that reached about halfway up. Once I sewed all the necessary seams, it was finished! A very easy way to make an old skirt more wearable!


Thanks to Naomi Kolok for helping me with this photoshoot! She'll also be modeling in reconstruction posts to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment