Monday, September 16, 2013

Highlights From My First New York Fashion Week


         I had such an awesome time at New York Fashion Week and I'm so grateful to my internship at Papercut Magazine for sending me. I got to interview emerging designers, meet cool people, see celebrities, get to know the city, and look at beautiful clothes! I conquered my fear of what I thought would be a complicated subway system and discovered that getting around wasn't nearly as overwhelming as I thought. I only got lost once!

          While I'll be writing individual posts about the shows later, here's an overall look at everything I did and the people I met last week!

The street style was exactly how I imagined it would be.
I learned that it's impossible to take good runway pictures if you don't have a professional camera. The models walk way too fast and the lighting completely washes them out!
I met Robert Verdi at my first show and he taught me how to take a selfie the celeb way!
I met designer Samantha Pleet and was mesmerized by her mountain stripe print.
Mary J. Blige brightened the models' days at Catherine Malandrino.
I snapped a photo of these three Teen Vogue elites looking fabulous in Chelsea.
I met super cool jewelry designer Heidi Gardner and fell in love with her and her amazing designs. Girl crush!
I hung out with my cousin Maddie and her boyfriend and they introduced me to the delicious artichoke pizza of a pizzeria called Artichoke. Who would've known!?
I also met their friends Jose and Sarah (not pictured).
I had a backstage pass at Mordekai by Ken Borochov and watched the models get hair and makeup done like a true fashion week reporter!
I sat front row at Daisy Fuentes and got a swag bag of free clothes and accessories.
I introduced myself to Teen Vogue writer, Andrew Bevan, who I'd taken that street style photo of the day before. He's such an inspiration and was incredibly nice to talk to! I don't think I stopped smiling for an hour after that!
Went to perhaps the coolest fashion party of the year. It was in a pier warehouse, everyone was dressed super fly, and it looked out on an awesome view of the city. 

And ended my fashion week experience with artfully abstract designs at a Parsons grad student show in Made's Milk Studios.
          Last week was definitely one of the coolest times of my life! I had the opportunity to go to NYFW much sooner than I ever dreamed and I experienced it with a fresh, optimistic outlook...something I realize goes away after you've seen hundreds of shows because it's your job!   Everyone I met was really friendly and I'm happy I got to see more sides of the city than I have in previous trips. A huge thank you to Maddie Allen for letting me stay with her and to her friends for making me feel welcomed in a sometimes overwhelming city!

No comments:

Post a Comment