Thursday, September 19, 2013

NYFW: Reem Acra SS14


          Reem Acra was the first show I went to during New York Fashion Week. I got off my bus, lugged my giant suitcase to my cousin's apartment (with the help of her generous friends, of course), and headed to Lincoln Center. I was so excited to be there and to be seeing my first show in NYC, that I could've watched trash bags and potato sacks go down the runway and I would've been happy!

           That being said, this show was my least favorite I attended. I'm also probably right in saying that it was one of the least profound of NYFW, but I didn't see them all so that's up for debate. The clothes were nice to look at, the fabrics moved nicely down the runway, and the models had bigger hair than Grace Coddington, but everything else was lackluster. How many times have we seen a designer do disco party style? And this wasn't a unique spin off of that inspiration either. It was a collection of shiny fabrics, sexy draping, and volume in places most people would rather leave in the 70s. I really don't see hounds tooth and polka dots becoming popular in chiffon or charmeuse.

             Fabrics and prints aside, design wise, the pieces lacked dimension. The structure of each dress and pantsuit was either unoriginal, unflattering, or impractical. There were hardly any accessories or layers used to add interest and the color palette was mundane, with the exception of the occasional orange and poppy. However, the collection did end on a more positive note with detailed embroidery, reminiscent of fireworks, exploded onto black evening gowns.

Below are the top looks from the collection. (These aren't my own pictures because I quickly realized how impossible it is to take runway pictures with my iPod.)











Photo credit: Style.com

My Reem Acra SS14 Top Five:

  1. Favorite fabric - silver silk crepe 
  2. Best backstage element - Pat McGrath's makeup magic
  3. Memory brought to life - watching "The Last Days of Disco" with my mom
  4. Best look for spring - sheer silk with trapunto stitched detail
  5. Coolest moment - meeting Robert Verdi after the show


No comments:

Post a Comment